fedora-list Digest, Vol 54, Issue 170

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 21 09:37:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 23:12 -0600, Lawrence E. Graves wrote:
> I am kind of new at this,

I'll point out, since you must be new at mailing lists too, please do
not reply to digests in that manner.

Do not top post, do not quote the *entire* digest in your reply, do not
reply with a useless subject line (your message was something *about*
installing not about "fedora-list Digest...").

Find the part of the digest that you're replying to, quote just that
portion in your reply, reply below the quotes you're responding to, set
the subject to be the same as that portion of the digest.

But be aware that the digest posts are not good for replying to, at all.
Your reply will not be tied to the prior post, and will not be seen in
conjunction with it when others see the mail, it will be a dis-attached
orphan.

Because of the near uselessness of digest replies, and the continual
mis-use of them by respondents, I'd far rather see the mailing list
reject digest replies, and force people to reply in a more sensible
manner (e.g. reject replies with digest subject lines, reject replies
with huge digest quotes, with the rejection notice saying why and
advising how to reply better), like some news servers do.

> to the two people that are struggling with the installation of Fedora
> 9, it is simpler to install it straight from the website.  I've never
> tried to install it with a disk

You'll need a fast network for that, or not mind putting up with a quite
slow installation, and one that can abort without recovering from any
networking problems.

I don't know how you'd call it simpler, either.  You've got to create
something to start installing and boot from that, then give it the
address for the network location to install from.  That's more
complicated than burning an install disc and booting from it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.