Slightly [OT] Network Monitoring/Alerting tools

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 18:06:06 UTC 2008

Adam Hough wrote:

>> We need something like Nagios, SNMP, port monitoring, interface monitoring
>> on our core routers, etc.  WE also need something really granular for
>> alerting via text or email so we don't get deluged with messages at night
>> for things that aren't critical.
>>

> I would have to recommend that is you are running a large network to
> take a look at OpenNMS though I honestly have not had to deal with it
> for over a year now.

I second the recommendation for OpenNMS, but for the moment, don't try
to run it on FC9 or 10 due to some java and postgresql version
dependencies.   It works nicely on CentOS and can be installed via yum
from their 'unstable' repository.   A neat trick for notification is to
also install the Openfire xmpp (jabber) server and create a multiuser
conference for alarms, then configure OpenNMS to send notifications
there.  Then when you are interested in seeing all of the notifications,
just connect to the conference with any xmpp client.  You can also
configure OpenNMS to send specific alarms to email if you want.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com