Removing Icons from KDE

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 21 18:50:20 UTC 2008

On Thursday 21 August 2008 19:09:43 Rich Emberson wrote:
> How dumb of me, thanks.

Not dumb.  It's not the same behaviour as in previous versions.  The Desktop
used to be a special case.  In KDE4 it can be a folder, and using folderview
you can make it look and behave almost exactly as the old Desktop did, but it
is still just a folder, not a special case.  This is particularly confusing
if you have icons left from a previous desktop, either because you upgraded
or because you ran 3.5 in the same distro, as in the case of Mandriva users.

It's one of many things that are no big deal once you know about it, but it
confuses at first.  And before the flames start, I'm not going to argue about
why it should be so.  As I said, you can make it behave like the old Desktop.

Anne