Slightly [OT] Network Monitoring/Alerting tools

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Aug 21 19:01:30 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:

>> We do run OpenNMS as well, and it's a good tool, but I was interested
>> in something /like/ nagios that does monitoring and alerting.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the distinction or why you'd need both.
> OpenNMS is like nagios in some ways, different in some.

Well, the OpenNMS version we have is older, and it's sitting on a Debian
Sarge box that I want to blow away and install Fedora on.  But that's
not the reason for the question.  We run nearly every monitoring tool
out there, and my boss is extremely picky. He doesn't really like any of
them completely.  They all have flaws in his mind so he wants to see
what else might be available now, that either might not have been 4
years ago, or has greatly improved since then.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support