Java applets not starting F-9 , firefox-3

Per Anton Rønning pa-ronn at online.no
Thu Aug 21 21:27:52 UTC 2008

Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 20:50 +0200, Per Anton Rønning wrote:
>
>> I think I have tried everything to fire up some browser applets in some
>> web-pages that I am visting frequently.
>> Everything was OK under FC 5 - Firefox -2, but now it just does not start.
>> I expect a login screen as the first response to starting up, but it
>> does never appear.
>> - I have installed the libjavaplugin_oji.so softlink in /home/<my
>> user>/.mozilla/plugins
>> - I have tried both jre 6 and jre 5 (i have installed the .bin self
>> extracting file according to some advide I found)
>> - I have Gooogled extensively to get hints, some were fond, but they did
>> not work.
>> - I have checked /usr/java/jre1.5.0_16/bin/ControPanel, as well as the
>> /usr/java/ jre1.6.0_07/-ditto- and I cannot find anything wrong.
>> - Right now the ..-oji.so points to jre1.5....
>>
>> - Perhaps Firefox-9 searces in some other location to find this link? I
>> have found no hint about that. In FC 5 this works like a charm.
>>
>> - One text I found hinted that this area is full of potential trouble,
>> and one issue is which version of C has been used to compile both Java
>> and Firefox.
>>

> See if you have the package below installed and if not, install it.
> Java works just fine once installed, and no symbolic links or anything
> needs to be created.
>
> java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin

launcing $su -c "yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk"

gave the following result:
:
:
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Package 1:java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-0.16.b09.fc9.i386 already installed
and latest version
Nothing to do
So the package seems to be installed already.

Brgs
PAR