Automount of CD-ROMs no longer works

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 21 23:18:11 UTC 2008

I replaced my CD-ROM writer with a DVD-ROM writer, and now automounting
of either CD-ROMs or DVD-ROMs no longer takes place. Instead, the
CD-Creator gets started up, as it does for a blank writable CD-ROM.

I can force a mount by hand, which works. All the files show up and
the disc is usable. However, the label on the disc is not recognized,
and the mounted icon on the desktop simply shows it as CDROM.

I replaced the DVD writer with a Memorex 48x CD-ROM drive I
have lying around, and the auto mount and label recognition
both work. Putting the DVD writer back in made the symptoms
return. Kudzu didn't report anything about the change whatever.

Hardware:
	Compaq Presario 2.7GHz Celeron (i386 build)
	Sony DRU-V200A[-BR] (shows symptoms)
	Memorex CD-482E (does not show symptoms)
Software:
	$ uname -a
	Linux Presario-1 2.6.10-1.771_FC2 #1 Mon Mar 28 00:50:14 EST 2005 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux
	Gnome

I am aware that FC2 is very old, no need to comment.

I checked

Red Hat->Preferences->CD and DVD

and under Data Discs both "Mount discs when inserted" and
"Start auto run programs when present" are checked.

Someone please advise me on how to proceed to get this
drive to work for me the way I would like.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.