Automount of CD-ROMs no longer works

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 22 00:32:51 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> You may want to run ls -l /dev/cdrom to see where it points to. If
> this was the only device on the secondary IDE controller, and you
> are not using cable select, then it is possible that the old drive
> was jumpered as a slave drive, and the new on is jumpered as either
> master or cable select. That would mess up the cdrom symlink.

To recap: the DVD drive which does not work was jumpered as Master,
while the CD drive which does work was jumpered as Slave.

Ok, I rejumpered the DVD drive to be Slave, and installed, and
the symptoms are as before, though the /dev/cdrom entry now
corresponds to the one which works with the CD drive. I also
rejumpered the CD drive as master, and reinstalled it, and
noted that the /dev/cdrom entry changed to match the one which
does not work with the DVD drive, and yet it works properly with
the CD reader.

So, while a good idea to try, it is not the answer. The CD drive
works as either Master or Slave, while the DVD drive works as
neither Master nor Slave. The symptoms follow the drive. Do I
perhaps need to make a device /dev/dvdrom? I thought the protocols
were identical.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.