Slightly [OT] Network Monitoring/Alerting tools

Adam Hough adam at gradientzero.com
Fri Aug 22 03:01:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:

>>> I'm not sure I understand the distinction or why you'd need both. OpenNMS
>>> is like nagios in some ways, different in some.
>>>

>> Well, the OpenNMS version we have is older, and it's sitting on a Debian
>> Sarge box that I want to blow away and install Fedora on.  But that's not
>> the reason for the question.  We run nearly every monitoring tool out there,
>> and my boss is extremely picky. He doesn't really like any of them
>> completely.  They all have flaws in his mind so he wants to see what else
>> might be available now, that either might not have been 4 years ago, or has
>> greatly improved since then.
>
> Well, OpenNMS has certainly improved recently and is still being developed
> rapidly.  Don't draw any conclusions from seeing an older version.  Also, it
> is very configurable.  It does the obvious stuff out of the box but can be
> extended in an assortment of ways.  Plus, if you can use one of the packaged
> versions it is much easier to install than a few years ago.
>
> --
>  Les Mikesell
>   lesmikesell at gmail.com
>
> --

My only beef with OpenNMS is that it is a polling type monitoring
system which is fine for say network gear but I would rather have a
client/server setup for servers that I want to monitor.  OpenNMS from
what I can tell still does not give me the flexibility that I want or
need that I get from other system such as Hobbit (BB) or Nagios.
Though I will admit I had not know all that much about snmp other then
to make sure that it is turned off on systems I install to give bots
one less attack point if they make it past my iptable rules in some
manner.