Infrastructure status, 2008-08-19 UTC 0200

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at wowway.com
Fri Aug 22 03:05:33 UTC 2008

Joel Rees wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2008, at 8:45 AM, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>>> Why not?
>>
>> Because I never thought the list was informative.
>
> This is a perception that needs correcting. Unfortunately, the people
> that foster that perception are anything but under the redhat umbrella.
> (Happen to be trying to tear it down, right now, if you know what I
> mean.) Just look at their record to see the difference between what they
> preach and what they do.
>
> In many parts of Japan there is a over-the-wire emergency broadcast
> system that pre-dated the internet. (And has since been at least
> partially re-purposed in many small towns to bring broadband in before
> any independent ISPs showed interest. I think, if you think about it,
> you can think of some implementation issues there.) The original purpose
> of the system was to broadcast earthquake and storm (typhoon, etc.)
> warnings and such.
>
> There are some lists in which no news is good news. That does not mean
> the list is useless.

I believe the list also included package updates before. Until this
discussion I did not realize there is a dedicated list to packages
announcements.
Deleting packages information frequently got annoying back in the day.
I'm signed up for the list for announce now. Whatever list I was on
before was not informative for my interests.

Interesting information regarding Japan and their over the wire
emergency broadcasting system.

I agree, no news is good news for OMG sorts of lists.

Jim

--
God, I ask for patience -- and I want it right now!