non-disclosure of infrastructure problem a management issue?

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 03:59:06 UTC 2008

Björn Persson wrote:
> Anders Karlsson wrote:
>> * Björn Persson <bjorn at rombobjörn.se> [20080823 18:57]:
>>> The first announcement gave me the impression that there was a technical
>>> problem, such as overloaded web servers or a crashed database or
>>> something. In retrospect it's obvious that when that announcement was
>>> written they already knew or at least suspected that there had been an
>>> intrusion. This gives me the impression that Paul W. Frields was not
>>> being truthful. He lied by telling half the truth.
>> That is a pretty strong statement to make. Not telling everything does
>> not equate lying - especially when what you are telling (or can tell)
>> is true. And if all you have is an impression that he is not truthful,
>> you conceed that you have no evidence to the contrary as well.
>>
>> I think you owe Paul Frields an apology.
>
> It would be possible to convince me that he didn't mean to deceive. It would
> take an honest-sounding statement that he thought that everybody would
> understand that installing packages might be not only unsafe but actually
> insecure, and also a very good explanation of why he – or someone giving him
> orders – thought it was absolutely necessary to be so cryptic. It would be

You do not have the all the facts yet you feel free to pass judgement.
Calling Paul Frields a liar is out of line and you know it, we have no
idea what constraints he may be operating under. Your statement above
strikes me as naive and dishonest. You had no idea there was a security
issue? It was the first thing to cross my mind when I first saw the
announcement. What else could it have been? Why else the cryptic
message? No, it strikes me that you are being dishonest with yourself
first and foremost. From what little I can glean from mail sent to this
list you do not strike me as a fool, is it just frustration at the
situation? This is understandable but it does not give you leave to
accuse people of being deceitful.

--
Fortune favors the BOLD