Java applets not starting F-9 , firefox-3

Per Anton Rønning pa-ronn at online.no
Sun Aug 24 10:49:44 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Per Anton Rønning wrote:
>> Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> I would surely buy more memory.  :-)
>>>
>>> I would also recommend using the rpms in the future.  Makes
>>> installing/uninstalling/updating much easier.
>>>
>>> FWIW, you can also confirm what lib FF is referencing by doing an:
>>>
>>> lsof -p XXXX    where XXXX is the PID of FF and then grepping the
>>> output for  "plugin".

>>> My environment is Red Hat Enterprise Linux V 4.7 with FF 3.0.1 and
>>> Sun's latest java and java plugin.

>>> No, I've installed Sun's jdk-1.6.0_07-fcs.
>> I downloaded
>>

>>      JDK 6 Update 7
>>
>> /The Java SE Development Kit (JDK) includes the Java Runtime
>> Environment (JRE) and command-line development tools that are useful
>> for developing applets and applications.
>>
>> /from the SUN site.
>>
>> I went through the motions, executing the ....*.rpm.bin inder /usr/java,
>> created symlinks (libjavaplugin_oji.so) both in ---/.mozilla/plugins
>> and (to be sure)  /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.
>>
>> Still no effect. And the funny thing is:
>> about:plugins now report this:
>>

>>    Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_06-b02
>>
>>    File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
>>    Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_06
>>
>> I was expecting  _07, not _07 if the last 2 digits identify the
>> update number.
>>
>> I also have:
>>

>>    GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) 1.2
>>
>>    File name: gcjwebplugin.so
>>    The GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) executes Java applets.
>
> I can't think of a reason to have both of these.
>
> I now have only Sun's Java installed on FF 9.  I "rpm -e" the
> open-java stuff.  And both of your sites run just fine.
> -- snip --

Then there should be hope for me as well. But I must admit that I have
not dived into this
java plugin stuff so much before, (under Fedora Core 5 it was just to
enter the softlink
.._oji.so in   /home/.../.mozilla/plugins and then everyting played nicely.
So there is a lot of new stuff now that I try to bring under control.
Therefore I am compelled to ask more uninformed questions:
rpm -e ? I.e: What should I enter after the erase clause to make sure
that I get it all
erased?
java-1.6.0-openjdk ,jre-1.6.0-openjdk etc appears in several directories
(Dolphin Find File search)
/usr/lib/jvm
/usr/lib/jvm-exports
/usr/share
I want to make sure that I know what I am doing now,  which I am not
sure that I do,
because there is quite a flow of details to manage.

Brgds
PAR