New F9 EeePC problem

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Aug 24 18:56:10 UTC 2008

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 15:42:56 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

> This may or may not have something to do with the infrastructure
> problems. It happened during them.
>
> 	Having installed F9 on an EeePC 701, I did some removals with
> gnome-packagekit, then plugged in a USB CD/DVD drive, and started
> copying a bunch of data from my PCs.
>
> 	Of course I soon hit a point where the poor little thing wouldn't
> take any more.
>
> 	I fired up the packagekit again, picked a bunch of stuff for it
> to uninstall, and hit Apply. It hung. Overnight.
>
> 	I force-closed it, and went to cutting away things I had added,
> by moving them to the trash -- all the time watching the cumulative
> sizes by scanning and re-scanning /home with baobab. I got it down to
> where, by those scans, I was using about half its 8 GB. (I have a camera
> card in it -- couldn't even install F9 when I tried without.)
>
> 	I *think* the package kit removed some things before it hung, but
> don't know which nor how many.
>
> 	Finally, last night, I had occasion to shut it down. I've been in
> process of trying to get it to boot for the past hour or so -- without
> rhgb. It seems not to be hung, exactly; every once in a great while, the
> normal boot messages go forward another line, then sit there ...
>
> 	I'd hate to just re-install from scratch -- repeating all the
> things I've changed would be a week's work. Is there a better way?

	I've now tried rescue; it took the chroot, but not a yum command,
and I don't know what else to try from /mnt/sysimage.

	I also tried telling it to "upgrade" (from F9 devastated to F9
normal), and it hung. I'll try again in text mode ...

Fedora 7, 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3