pulseaudio, howto make it work?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 19:00:41 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:

>>> ----
>>> You don't seem to care that things like NetworkManager and PulseAudio
>>> are trying to solve userland device control over things that have on
>>> Linux been traditionally root controlled devices/daemons.
>> And for very good reasons on a multiuser OS that is not constrained to
>> single-user access through a single magic keyboard.  Try floating your
>> session around with freenx/NX, or having several different logins at
>> once to see how little sense it makes to logically tie things to a
>> console-related session that don't belong there at all.
> ----
> I was under the impression that pulseaudio represents a considerable
> enhancement over esd for server/remote client sound but as you know
> there are always bandwidth issues for that type of service.

Yes, I believe pulseaudio can do remote session-based connections, but
that's not necessarily what you want either and I'm not sure anything in
fedora sets them up.  A machine may have one or more audio devices on
the host, and you may want one or more of those devices to play
something that is controlled by someone/something other than the user
logged in at the console (if there is a console or such a user).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com