strange error

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Aug 24 21:19:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 20:18:40 +0000, g wrote:
	[...]
> my psychic powers picked up on yum, yet missed rpm.
	[...]
> being that it is under 24 hours from your post, i would give 'debaters'
> time to get their heads out of 'java', 'infrastructure', and
> 'pulseaudion' and grasp some 'fresh air'.
	[...]
> have a look at;
>   web page: http://linux.duke.edu/yum/
>   wiki: http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/yum

	From that second one, I get a notice saying it doesn't exist yet.

	I suppose I may still be jumping the gun. (I'll tell, I'll tell,
but -- *after* my excuses.)

	I couldn't get it to boot. I couldn't get it to 'upgrade' to F9,
GUI-ly nor in text mode; and when rescue got me to chroot, I couldn't get
it to run yum.

	So I'm in process of slamming it with the big, big hammer --
carefully. Id est, another perishing fresh install, with differences.

	First of all, this time I went through Customize Now, cutting
everything I could find and dared.

	Second, knowing now how big and how superfluous some of my data
files were, I won't copy those to the EeePC.

	Third, before I copy any of them, I'll run yum update and then
gnome-packagekit *twice* -- looking for more stuff to cut.

	Fourth, I'll keep interrupting the packagekit with logging out
and in, and even reboots. That way, if I inadvertently uninstall
something essential, I have a better chance of knowing what it was, and
finding out how to get it back.

	Keep your fingers crossed -- and stay tuned. It's starting the
new install now ....

Fedora 7, 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3