H.D. install problem -

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 22:48:40 UTC 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 5:31 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> Russell Miller wrote:
>>>
>> You now have your partition list, which you can mount.
>>
>> --Russell
>>
> Ok, I can't mount it on / because that's already used but I can
> mount it on /mnt and copy files at least.  Thats a start, more than
> I've been able to do so far!
>
> mount  /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 /mnt
>
> I'll need to figure how to get grub to boot it ...

If you succeeded in mounting it, look in the old /boot (in other
words, in /mnt/boot) If you don't recognize what you should be
looking for after checking the manual entries, etc., ask again.

I've done this several times, including several times when I was
fighting the old problem where you didn't want LVM handling volumes
on more than one drive in a system. I don't know if that old
limitation still exists, you'll want to check. (I probably want to
check, too, but not today.)

The short answer to booting the old system is to remove the new
drive. The long answer includes adding to the new grub configuration,
new entries to either chain or directly boot the old system, but
modifying the drive numbering appropriately. If you chain, I think
you'll end up editing the old grub's configuration as well, because
of the drive numbering problem.

Wish I had time to write a tutorial on it, but such do exist on the
web. Some will be old and send you in the wrong direction, so look
for something recent.

Joel Rees