japanese keyboards and xorg (and macs?)

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Mon Aug 25 00:18:12 UTC 2008

Hi Joel,

I am not familiar with Japanese Mac keyboards.
Are they very different from a Japanese PC keyboard.

Have you tried "setxkbmap jp"?

> In openBSD, I have been able to get most of the keyboard mapped to the
> Japanese keyboard, merely by copying the jp keyboard mapping file from
> /etc/X11/xkb/symbols into /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh and setting the
> keyboard to jp in xorg.conf.

Ok

> But two keys remain unaccessible, and one
> key does not remap, leaving me unable to type underscore, right bracket,
> and right brace in the Japanese map. Again, on the openBSD system, I
> tried the xev utility, and determined that the two keys that are
> unaccessible are just not generating events.

> Has anyone here has seen this kind of problem? or could anyone give me
> some suggestions?

You could start by filing a report in bugzilla, but I guess it really
needs to be fixed upstream.  I see current rawhide still does not have a
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/macintosh_vndr/jp file...

Dunno if that helps a little? :)

Jens