update error on F9 --- round two

Paul Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Aug 25 20:39:31 UTC 2008

Paul Newell wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 21:28:13 -0700
>> pnewell at cs.cmu.edu (Paul Newell) wrote:
>>
>> ...snipp...
>>
>>> My question to fedora-list is "what is the org.frredesktop.etc error
>>> and how to I correct so it will work". If I need to go command line
>>> and do it through yum, that's okay ... I just need a bit of guidance
>>> on the process.
>>>

>> Do not login as root and attempt to run PackageKit/update.
>> Either:
>> - Login as root, but run 'yum update' from a terminal.
>> - Login as a normal user and apply updates via PackageKit.
>> See:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageKitFaq#system-install-packages_and_gpk-install-file_do_not_work_when_run_as_the_root_user.21
>>

>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Paul
>>>

>> kevin
>>
> Thanks, will try this suggestion during the next week
>
> Paul

After checking this link and reading some of the other comments, I
elected to log in as root and do it via "yum update". Couple problems
that I only partly understand.

First, I got "kernal: Uhhuh / Dazed and Confused" messages, which I
don't think are related to the "yum update" and will post another thread
on that (if they are related, then my bad assumption)

Second, it did the rpm_check_debug / Transaction Test (succeeded) and
began all the installs and updates. Failed on one:

      Updating  : gmime-sharp                  #####################
    [179/790]
      Updating  : gpm-devel                    #####################
    [180/790]
    error: boost-devel-1.34.1-15.fc9: Header V3 DSA signature: BAD, key
    ID 4f2a6fd2
      Updating  : netpbm-devel                 #####################
    [182/790]
      Updating  : libXfont-devel               #####################
    [183/790]

I want to beleive that this is a local problem to the boost package that
probably needs to be tried again before reporting problem. That being
said, I am a newbie so I wanted to check. If I am right, will the system
pick boost up as in need of update and let me try again next time I boot.

Third, when it finished with updating selinux-policy-targeted, I got a
error that "Tomboy Notes" had quit. I also got an message about:

    SELinux is preventing mono (unlabeled_t)
    "use" to /dev/null (unconfined_t)

That seems like a bug?

The last one is the one that has me concerned as it is coming from yum
at the very very end:

      Cleanup   : openssh                      #####################
    [788/790]
      Cleanup   : gtk2                         #####################
    [789/790]
    ERROR:dbus.connection:Unable to set arguments () according to
    signature u's': <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: More items found in
    D-Bus signature than in Python arguments
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/yum", line 29, in <module>
        yummain.user_main(sys.argv[1:], exit_code=True)
      File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 241, in user_main
        errcode = hotshot(main, args)
      File "/usr/share/yum-cli/yummain.py", line 193, in main
        # Run the transaction
      File "/usr/share/yum-cli/cli.py", line 432, in doTransaction
        errstring += '  %s\n' % to_unicode(descr)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/__init__.py", line 790,
    in runTransaction
        if os.path.exists(fn):
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/plugins.py", line 175,
    in run
        func(conduitcls(self, self.base, conf, **kwargs))
      File "/usr/lib/yum-plugins/refresh-packagekit.py", line 37, in
    posttrans_hook
        packagekit_iface.StateHasChanged('posttrans')
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 68,
    in __call__
        return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 140,
    in __call__
        **keywords)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line
    597, in call_blocking
        'path %s' % LOCAL_PATH)
    TypeError: More items found in D-Bus signature than in Python arguments
    You have mail in /var/spool/mail/root
    [root at chowder ~]#

This is certainly giving me the impression that something isn't right in
the yum code that is doing the install ... if it were the install proper
I would expect a cleaner message rather than a Python trace of its burp,
right?

I have attached the mail it left for me.

I've left the system as is because I am not certain whether there might
be advice to do something before I reboot ... and I certainly expected
yum to tell me I ought to reboot but I think the final error killed yum
properly finishing.

Once again, thanks for any help,
Paul