time stupidity

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Mon Aug 25 21:12:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 19:31 +0000, g wrote:

> Todd Denniston wrote:
> <snip>
> > If the machine is always running Unix/Linux, then UTC is usually better. If
> > you are also running MSWIN then you either need to use LOCAL or find the tweak
> > someone posted ~1 week ago, that you can do to windows so it treats the
> > hardware clock as UTC.
>
> what is there to tweak if you just tell msbsos that time zone
> is london, england?
>
> time + 0 is time + 0.

That's what I've done (though I might try the tweak).  If you do that,
you also need to make sure that *each Windows user* turns off the
automatic daylight time adjustment in the clock applet.  (Basically, UTC
is London time with no DST adjustment, give or take a few ticks...).

The only disadvantage is that when you are in Windows, the clock shows
UTC.  If you wear a watch, that's not a big deal.  If you use a Windows
calendar/alarm facility, you have to watch out for that, as well, or
you'll find yourself several hours early to your appointments.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu