OT Electronics Help

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Aug 25 23:24:21 UTC 2008

aragonx at dcsnow.com writes:

> Okay so this is way off topic but I need some help.  I tried doing a
> Google search but I don't know enough to get my query right.
>
> I have several external components that I would like to come on when my
> computer comes on.  I would also like them to go off when my computer goes
> off.  Some sort of electronic switch that I could plug in to one of my
> PC's spare 4 pin power plugs work work fine.

Funny, I just installed a UPS, a.k.a. uninterruptible power supply, a.k.a.
battery backup, for one of my servers, and it apparently has exactly what
you're looking for. This particular model, made by APC, has an optional
"master" electrical outlet that controls three "slave" outlet, at least as
far as I can make out the documentation. You plug your components into the
slave outlets, the UPS supplies power to the slave outlets only when it
detects that whatever you plugged into the master outlets is actually
drawing power.

Google "APC UPS master control".