"Permissions Denied" error as root: SOLVED

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Aug 26 22:28:55 UTC 2008

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Mike McCarty wrote:
>>> Having root access only gives one effective ownership, not effective
>>> permission. Being root gives one the same privileges the owner would
>>> have.
>>>
>> It gets more interesting when you have fuse mounted file systems. I
>> have an encrypted file system as user mikkel, and root can not
>> access it, unless I change to user mikkel, even if it is "unlocked".
>
> That makes perfect sense. Ownership and access are not the same
> thing.
>
> Mike
A agree. But in the past, root would have access no matter who owned
the files/directories. I like it much better this way - one more
step someone with root access has to go through. And if it isn't
mounted, then nobody without the pass-phrase can access it anyway.

It is kind of funny when installing RPMs to get a message about not
being able to stat the file system...

Mikkel