samba installed from scratch on fc9 doesn't work for me

Massimo Maiurana maiurana at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 17:25:35 UTC 2008

Bill Crawford, il 27/08/2008 18:53, scrisse:
> Try "-t smb" rather than "smbfs" (like "-t ext3" not "-t ext3fs").

I could try it when I'll be back, but I doubt it would work.
the driver name is "smbfs", and the driver name for ext3 is indeed
"ext3"... even "man mount" refers to it as "smbfs".

I just did a few tests on my home pc, a slack box running a custom
2.6.26 kernel and samba 3.0.23. this is my home smb.conf:
[global]
    workgroup = Home
    server string = Samba Server
    security = share
    hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
    load printers = no
    guest account = nobody
    log file = /var/log/samba.%m
    max log size = 50
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    dns proxy = no
[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes
[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    printable = yes
[public]
    comment = Public Stuff
    path = /mnt/storage/public
    public = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writable = yes

I use samba here only to access some videos from my set-top-box, and
with this very basic configuration I'm able to access locally to it
using smbclient either with password and without, the only
difference is that without password it warns me "server not using
user level security and no password supplied", but it still gives me
access.

Why can't I achieve the same thing on fedora?
at this point I'm pretty sure it is a bug, to me the key is the
"tdb_fetch_uint32 failed" I get every time I add a user.
maybe I should file a bug on bugzilla, should I?

I searched www.samba.org for pre-built packages, but there are not
more recent packages than 3.0.26 for fedora 7... I guess they would
not work on fedora 9, would them?

my boss will kill me... all was working with winXP, but I always
tried to convince him that linux is better :°(

--
       Massimo Maiurana         massimo<at>ragusa.linux.it
       http://massimo.solira.org       GPG keyID #7044D601

Articolo 33 - [...]Enti e privati hanno il diritto di istituire
scuole ed istituti di educazione, senza oneri per lo Stato.[...]