samba installed from scratch on fc9 doesn't work for me

Massimo Maiurana maiurana at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 17:35:16 UTC 2008

Craig White, il 27/08/2008 19:05, scrisse:

>> I even tried with secutity share, and this way I'm able to access
>> the share, but only with barbara's password.
>> if I try to access without a password it says "server not using user
>> level security and no password supplied".
[...]
> It would be easier if you understood the differences between security =
> user and security = share
>
> security = user is the default and typically recommended method. This
> simulates the type of networking since the release of WinNT4 and a user
> need only connect to the server in one instance (user/password) and it
> connects to all resources from that server. If the user logs in to his
> Windows computer with the same user/password combination, then that
> should automatically be passed to the Samba server without any need for
> user entry.
>
> security = share emulates the type of file sharing that was typical of
> Windows 95 & Windows 98 where each share requires login with a user name
> and password each time. Security = share has languished with little
> attention since it is rarely used and probably will be phased out before
> too long.

I tried with security=share because "man smb.conf" states:
<from "man smb.conf">
If the service is marked “guest only = yes” and the server is
running with share-level security (“security = share”, steps 1 to 5
are skipped.
[...]
6. If the service is a guest service, a connection is made as the
username given in the guest account = for the service, irrespective
of the supplied password.
<\from "man smb.conf">

so I thought that if I would set security=share, and set "guest
only=yes" in the share, I could have connect to that share from
everywhere and as everyone... unfortunately it isn't so on fedora,
while it is so on my home pc :(

--
       Massimo Maiurana         massimo<at>ragusa.linux.it
       http://massimo.solira.org       GPG keyID #7044D601

Articolo 33 - [...]Enti e privati hanno il diritto di istituire
scuole ed istituti di educazione, senza oneri per lo Stato.[...]