Leopard & Fedora 9 screen sharing?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 21:11:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 10:46 -0700, Jeffrey Engle wrote:
> On Aug 27, 2008, at 10:05 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 09:01 -0700, Jeffrey Engle wrote:
> >> Here's what I'd like to do, I brand new to fedora and a user of mac
> >> os
> >> x for the last 8 years (since OSX first came out), I've heard that
> >> fedora is not as virus hungry as windows. I've got a windows machine
> >> thats 2 years old and would like to see the desktop of the pc on my
> >> mac as well as filesharing and complete control of the headless PC...
> >> any good, simple instructions out there for doing this? Thank you....
> >> and if fedora isn't suited for this, can someone tell me? Jeff
> >
> > Apparently you want to run a Windows PC and see the desktop on a Mac.
> > Where does Fedora come in? Or do you mean you want to *replace*
> > Windows
> > with Fedora? Or replace MacOS with Fedora?
> >
> > poc
> >

> I want to replace windows with fedora.... then see the fedora desktop
> on my powermac G5 apple 20" monitor.... (powermac is running os 10.5)
> Jeff

You need to run an X server on the Mac whose clients are on the PC. The
usual way is to use vnc or freenx. Since the machines are presumably on
the same local network there's not a lot between them in performance,
but on slower networks freenx has the edge as it does a lot more
optimization.

See Craig's reply for more details.

poc