Turn off bash completion?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 28 15:28:01 UTC 2008

James Wilkinson wrote:
> I wrote:
>> into ~/.inputrc , and log in again, completion should be disabled.
>> You'll also have disabled the rest of the settings in /etc/inputrc: you
>> might like to either copy them across, or try putting
>> $include  /etc/inputrc
>> into ~/.inputrc .
>
> Mike McCarty replied:
>> Hmm, created ~/.inputrc
>>
>> $ cat ~/.inputrc
>> include /etc/inputrc
>> set disable-completion on

Yes, I missed the "$".

>> Then
>>
>> $ su - <myself>
>>
>> to get a login shell, and indeed completion is turned off.
>> HOWEVER, so is "I". IOW, I can no longer type the letter "i"
>> in either upper or lower case. I can, however, type in a
>> tab. Hmm...
>
> Weird.
>
> If I use your .inputrc, then lower-case i stops working for me, too.
>
> However, if I put the $ into the $include command, then the i key works
> properly.

That's it. Works for me, now. However, either
	include
does something funny to the leading "i" somehow
or means something to bash in some way I don't understand,

or

bash has some kind of defect.

I'm not familiar enough with bash to say which.

> But you might, instead, like this ~/.inputrc :
> $include /etc/inputrc
> "\C-i": self-insert
>
> That will unbind completion from the tab key, but leave it working if
> you pressing escape twice (which also works on some variants of ksh when
> tab doesn't work).

Another good idea.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.