Repair FC9 for new hardware

Joseph L. Casale JCasale at activenetwerx.com
Thu Aug 28 19:27:52 UTC 2008

I had to replace a MOBO with a new graphics card and NIC.
The storage controller is the same and the machine boots to run level 3 fine but its confused about the NIC (I know it works, I had a fresh install working out of the box) and X crashes the machine if I go to run level 5.

I don't have the time to re-install (all the data is backed up though) so what's my best approach for reconfiguring this box until I can cleanly set it up again? I have never done this sort of thing before so I am a bit in the un-know :)

FWIW, Network Manager is not installed, the module for the NIC is loaded, and the mac for the ifcfg-eth0 was changed to point to the new NIC. I also need to adjust the alias in modprobe.conf (forgot that, and not at wkst now) which may only leave me with reconfiguring X?

Thanks!
jlc