The Scope and Ownership of fedora-list

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Aug 28 20:57:15 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>  That's slightly less important in f9 than it used to
>>> be but there are still plenty of things that won't work with openjdk.
>>
>> True but OpenJDK in Fedora 9 is 100% certified Java
>>
>> http://developer.redhatmagazine.com/2008/07/08/java-in-fedora-first/
>>
>> You have argued before that, that the problems are due to the lack of
>> "official java" moniker and that has never really been the case.  The
>> problems are either non-standard features used by Java applications or
>> things not covered by the specification.
>
> But that doesn't matter.

Sure, it does. Your claim was incorrect as I told you earlier and this
only proves it.

Things work or not.  And without a real Sun
> Java which could have been trivial to obtain/install, many things don't
> work.  And instead of providing the trivial help to install a working
> java, someone must have spent an enormous amount of effort providing
> something sort-of-like java,

OpenJDK is Fedora 9 is officially Java and certified as such. You cannot
continue to claim otherwise. If you still run into problems, you should
be filing bug reports.

Rahul