The Scope and Ownership of fedora-list

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Aug 28 20:46:52 UTC 2008

O> If it isn't shunned, why doesn't the adobe repository come
> pre-configured in yum?  Or at least as a '--release' rpm that could be
> installed from an official site by feeding the URL to rpm?

Because Fedora is a free software distribution ? Because everyone making
a Fedora CD would then have to signal a distribution contract with Adobe.
Because every single package vendor on the planet would ask to be
included and we'd have a million conflicting repositories. Because Adobe
control it so the Fedora Project can't take responsibility for managing
it for conflicts and bug handling ?

And a few other reasons I am sure. Why not ask Microsoft why they don't
include Linux install CDs in their Windows package...

> > Clearly this URL is a figment of my imagination
> > too:  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaFAQ
>
> There's nothing on that page that would enable a new user to install a
> copy of Sun Java.  That's slightly less important in f9 than it used to
> be but there are still plenty of things that won't work with openjdk.

Sun choose not to provide a nice yummable rpm package but they've still
made it pretty easy to install. There are indeed various things that
don't work with OpenJDK - JMRI being a big one I make heavy use of.

> How many new users do you know that managed to get Sun Java and its
> browser plugin working correctly on fedora without using something like

Dunno about the browser plug in but I've seen plenty of people do the
rest without problems, including layering the J2ME devkit, Nokia phone
simulators and other stuff on top.

> if there were some less-constrained, non-official, non-US site hosting a
> wiki to organize it (and perhaps those --release rpms to set up the
> missing yum repos).

Go ahead - nobody is stopping you. Create the yummable repository of
everything, negotiate all your need contracts and indemnities.

Alan