Linksys WRT54G2

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Aug 28 22:48:32 UTC 2008

fred smith writes:

> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 03:27:47PM -0700, Rich Emberson wrote:
>> I run Fedora 9 (only, no windows or macs). I recently was given a Linksys
>> WRT54G2
>> Wireless-G broadband router with its installation CD (which according to the
>> terse instructions has a windows and mac modes - of course no Linux).
>>
>> I want to use this as simply a wireless access point to my existing LAN. I
>> already have a router and DSL internet connection.
>>
>> Anyone have any experience or links which can help me figure out how to use
>> this puppy?
>
> You might find it informative to check out the fora (plural of forum)
> and wiki at dd-wrt.com. dd-wrt is alternative firmware for many (but
> not all) of those linksys router/AP thingies, so the main emphasis there
> is using their firmware. But you might glean something too even if you
> decide not to change firmware.

Unfortunately, I dd-wrt won't run very well on the above router. This router
has too little RAM to accomodate dd-wrt. You need the the WRT54GL flag, to
use DD-WRT succesfully.

/me ordered WRT54GL precisely because I looked all of this up, beforehand.

If you browse through this router's manual, I believe that it has web-based
configuration access. I forget what's the router's default address, I think
it's http://192.168.1.2, confirm it in the manual.

Just plug in a laptop into one of the router's port, browse to its
configuration page, and set it up, by hand.