automatically mount removable devices

Carlo Nyto carlonyto at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 00:06:39 UTC 2008

2008/8/23 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>:
> Carlo Nyto wrote:
>> I have a system with four removable drives (in USB enclosures). I want
>> them to be mounted automatically in the same location every time. I
>> want this to happen at bootup. I also want this to happen if the
>> system is booted without the drives and they are plugged in later,
>> regardless of the order.
>>
>> Is this possible?
>>
> If you label the partitions, they will be mounted on /media/name. If
> this is not what you want, you can write HAL rules to have them
> mounted elsewhere. If you don't want to add labels, you can use the
> UUID value in the HAL rules.

Unfortunately, this is not the case. They are labeled. They are only
automatically mounted on /media/name if I am logged into gnome on the
console at the time that the drives are plugged in.

Is the behavior I am seeing the expected behavior, or is it indicative
of some unknown problem?

It was difficult to begin troubleshooting without even a guess as to
what mechanism might be mounting them automatically. I'll go under the
theory it was HAL and see what I can determine about its behavior