Am I a Bonehead or what? (# rm /dev)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Aug 29 01:31:19 UTC 2008

Mike McCarty wrote:

> [deleted /dev]

What version of Fedora? With any version with udev, there is the
device file system mounted on /dev once the system is booted, so as
long as the /dev/directory is there, the device entries should be
created on the fly. I don't remember if Fedora has any entries in
/dev that get covered by the device file system, but if it does,
there are only a few. I think that the initial RAM disk has the
devices needed for booting. It is hard to delete any of the
underlying device entries, because you have to unmount the device
file system before you can delete them, do do it by first booting
from something like a rescue CD.

> I can't mount my external USB drive. My fstab entries are
>
> /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb auto noauto,user,exec 0 0
> /dev/sde1 /mnt/usb auto noauto,user,exec 0 0
>
> Neither one of them will mount.
>
> $ mount /dev/sda1
> mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist
>
> Same error for the other one. What am I missing?

Well, for some reason you do not have the device files for SCSI
drive a. They should be created when you plug in the USB drive.

Mikkel