Java and openjdk

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 16:14:15 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> I expected more from the conformance test.
>
> ... which was my major point even earlier. Conformance tests won't get
> you what you wanted.  Major apps are relying on non-standard
> implementation quirks and even bugs and break even between revisions
> from the same vendor.

Yes, and they generally specify which jvm you need to use for the
application.  That means pragmatically that an OS should be designed to
easily accommodate whatever jvms your apps need, concurrently if
desired.  In the future I don't expect this to completely go away any
more than the existence of gcc made C compiler version dependencies go
away - but you will look at it differently when it's 'your' jvm versions
that are problematic.

>> For some very strange definition of 'works'.  The article accompanying
>> it describes parts that don't work.
>
> I will go by what has been posted on the blog.
>
> "Okay, I started mucking around with OpenJDK on Fedora 9 today, and it
> turns out it is pretty easy to build OpenNMS against OpenJDK and get it
> to work"

But it doesn't stop there - farther down:

"For some reason I got an error in Statsd.
[...]
This could be an OpenJDK issue or just a testing issue, so I disabled
that daemon for now"

> So more than merely building as your claimed earlier.

But not actually working like it is supposed to or in a usable way.

>   In fact, I'd probably have one running
>> under vmware if I expected even that to work without having to track
>> non-standard patches.  Is that listed on the FAQ these days?
>
> Feel free to use rpmfusion.org wiki for writing down all the content you
> wanted.  Any good search engine can be your friend as well.

I think you are missing the pragmatic point again.  I'm willing to
sometimes make some effort at beta testing but there are limits.  And
right now one of those would be using a system that installs with no
extra work under vmware.  If you can't respond to that or have the
answer in an official FAQ, I'll just wait until I have a specific need
for a feature I can't get elsewhere before trying to deal with it.

I don't really see the point of running an OS that is antagonistic
toward the drivers and applications that would make it useful but I'm
curious enough about how it is going to mesh with the next RHEL cut to
keep watching.  By the way, shouldn't that cut have happened by now?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com