Gnome Terminal and Session management Query

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Aug 29 20:44:12 UTC 2008

Dan Track wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Dan Track <dan.track at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Dan Track <dan.track at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I've got fedora 9 installed and I'd like it to store sessions for all
>>> my routers,switches, firewalls, servers etc just like putty and
>>> securecrt do. How can I manage that in a sensible way, I've got nearly
>>> a 100 different devices so a long list wouldn't be ideal, something
>>> like creating folders e.g network, linux and then storing the sessions
>>> in there would be good.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dan
>>
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> Can anyone give any thoughts on this? I just need to save profiles in
>> a logical way!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dan
>
> Hi
>
> Guess no one has this type of problem. I'm curious how do you guys
> then manage all your servers and network devices? Do you memorise the
> hostnames or ip addresses and ssh or telnet in every time you need log
> in?
>
> Is there something fundamental I'm missing?

I manage a lot of machines, generally set up in load-balanced clusters.
I use cssh a lot, so I have a rather robust /etc/clusters file.  I can
manage one 20-machine cluster by "cssh brsfe" and it opens 20 xterms via
ssh to those machines.

Other management techniques are to run webmin on the various machines
and (assuming there are plugins in webmin to do it), manage them via a
browser...just keep your bookmarks up to date.

Another useful tool is KeepassX.  You put URLs, usernames and passwords
into it.  One click will fire up the appropriate tool for the URL.  You
can copy the username and/or password into the paste buffer and paste it
into the appropriate prompts from the machine you're targeting.

If you need a windowing environment, there are vnc or FreeNX clients
and servers for Linux and Windows machines.  Linux also has "rdesktop"
to speak RDP to Windows machines.

There's a ton of tools for monitoring: Cacti, Nagios, OpenNMS, lots of
others.

In other words, "profiles" has many, many meanings and we're not sure
what you mean by it.  As I show above, there are many different
management tools available, some more appropriate for certain tasks than
others.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
-             To iterate is human, to recurse, divine.               -