Java and openjdk

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Aug 30 02:06:15 UTC 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Oh?  From my yumex screen (F8 install)
> java-1.7.0-icedtea
> jave-1.7.0-icedtea-plugin

Right, I have mentioned before several times in this thread that I was
referring to Fedora 9. Maybe, you missed that.

> In that case, is it safe to do so since updates are not yet flowing?  Those
> are old packages that have been sitting there for a month or more.

It would be and if there are any changes required, I would except more
announcements.

> A side note, we (my local group of friends) have found a blog
> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1803&tag=nl.e539> that gives a few hints
> on finding out if we too have been infected.  According to it, no systems
> here are.  The point being that the extreme privacy this has been kept under
> has now been exposed,

This blog post is talking about a generic issue and not related to
Fedora specifically but yes, if you are concerned about security. there
are multiple checks and this is one of them.

Rahul