Fedora 9 custom boot cd kernel panic help?

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Sat Aug 30 06:05:24 UTC 2008

Matthew Nicholson wrote:
> So, any hints/tips as to how to troubleshoot this? Is there some easy
> way to get the kernel panic "log", even though the boot never completes?
> As I said, this very same cd boots plenty of other systems, and its
> almost identical to the boot.iso shipped by Fedora, so I'm essentially
> scratching my head right now. Any help would be much appreciated.

Well, an obvious starting point is to edit the kernel parameters at boot
time (for example, when booting a Fedora live CD), and remove “quiet”
and “rhgb” from the kernel parameters.

With the Fedora live CD, press any key to get at the boot menu (when it
says “Automatic boot in n seconds”), and then “tab” to edit the “Boot”
kernel options.

And then see where the boot process stops.

More advanced debugging methods involve setting up a serial console.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail:     james@ | It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise
aprilcottage.co.uk | that you are in a hurry.