Ooo writer: autocorrect MIA?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Aug 30 14:46:57 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 23:00 -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> How do I enable autocorrect in writer? The help says to go to
>> autocorrect->options and check 'use replacement table', but there is
>> no such option. Any thoughts? I'm using 2.4.1-17.4.fc9.i386 (Fedora
>> 9).
>
> I seem to recall that feature was taken out thanks to patent paranoia.

Oy... Seriously, if we can replace boring quotes with left/right pairs,
or autocomplete words, *how* is that sufficiently different from
autocorrect that the latter is patentable while the former are not? How
are *CJK input methods* not patentable? (For that matter, how is
autocorrect patentable, period? This smells like something begging to be
challenged and thrown out.)

/me no like ridiculous software patents :P

> You could try uninstalling the Fedora supplied package, and installing
> the one from the OpenOffice.org website, but then you need to keep it up
> to date, yourself, it'll be orphaned from "yum update".

Sigh. I guess I'll have to do that.

--
Matthew
ENOWIT: .sig file for this machine not set up yet