Sony videocam w/ USB

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Aug 30 18:52:49 UTC 2008

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Bill,
>     Last year my daughter bought me a Sony Handicam DCR-SR42 for
> Christmas.  It has a 30GB hard drive in it, and a USB connection.  My
> laptop recognized it right away and mounted it as a USB hard drive
> device.  I can access the the stored videos (MPGs) (in a simial method
> to accessing my SONY still camera's JPGs) and access them directly.
> I even learned how to burn the MPGs to a DVD with a script.
>     Does your videocam not have any local storage on it?  For me, the
> trick was in knowing where to look for the videos after Linux mounted
> the device....
>     /media/disk/mp_root/101pnv01/
> holds all of the .mpg files and
>     /media/disk/dcim/101msdcf/
> holds all of my .jpg files....

Yes, the "local storage" is a tape drive. And given that the camera has
only a dozen hours of use in five years, I have a hard time justifying
an upgrade. It's totally adequate for the intended use as an easy to use
movie camera for a non-camera person. I'd like to get data out pre
split, I can split it if absolutely necessary. :-(

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>