Grub how to boot F8/F9 -

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Aug 31 16:12:21 UTC 2008

bobgoodwin wrote:

> I recently installed F-9 using the Gnome LiveCD on a new hard drive.
> When I opened the computer case there were only two SATA connectors on
> the motherboard so I removed dev/sda and put the new drive in it's
> place.  The drive removed contained only the original XP which I don't
> use and the /boot file.  I chose the live cd to save bandwidth since I
> am limited as to how much I can use via my satellite connection.  I then
> obtained what I want via yum.
>
> After the installation finished I found that grub did not offer the F-8
> Linux on the dev/sdb as an option.  It just wasn't there.  I had assumed
> the installation would pick it up but didn't.  Now a new /boot is on the
> new drive.
>
> I the bought an SATA card and installed it with the original drive
> [/dev/sdc Windows XP and /boot] to it.  I thought I might be able to
> maniputlate the bios settings to control the boot situation at least
> experimentally as a first step but no, when I go to bios-setup it only
> shows two SATA drives with the third drive, the one on the added card,
> as just being there with some identifying information but there's no way
> I have found to boot from it short of swapping cables between the drives.
>
> I can manipulate things from the command line well enough to copy files.
> [mount  /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 /mnt] makes the files available
> under /mnt but ideally I would like to be able to boot from one or the
> other, /dev/sda or /dev/sdc as it stands now.  I've looked for
> information on grub configuration but none of it is very clear to me.
> What would help would be a how to with a few examples of typical grub
> configuration files for a multi-boot system.
>
> I guess I'm in over my head.  Any suggestions pointing me in the right
> direction will be appreciated.
>
> Bob

You may run into problems trying to boot Windows as /dev/sdc - it
sounds like your BIOS does not provide access to it. Because both
Grub and Windows use the BIOS to access the drive, (Windows only
during boot to load the drivers and in safe mode.) if you can not
use the BIOS to access the drive, you are out of luck. You stand a
better chance by making the Windows drive second drive (/dev/hdb),
and F8 as third drive (/dev/hdc), with /boot for it on first drive
(/dev/hda) or second drive (/dev/hdb). It sounds like you had Grub
installed in the Windows drive. The fastest way to make it work
would be to use the map and chainloader commands of Grub to change
to the second drive, or use the BIOS to boot off of the Windows drive.

Label Other
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader (hd0)

You can find out more by running "pinfo grub".

Depending on your fstab, you may have to edit it to change /dev/sdb?
to /dev/sdc? You may also have to build a new initrd for f8.

Mikkel