Grub how to boot F8/F9 -

bobgoodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Sun Aug 31 17:54:06 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> bobgoodwin wrote:
>
>> In which case do I need a boot file on the F-9 disk?
>>  Fdisk will toggle that I believe.
>>
>>    #boot=/dev/sda
>>    default=0
>>    timeout=5
>>    splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>>    hiddenmenu
>>    title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
>>            root (hd1,0)
>>            kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>>            initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
>>

> You can add an entry for Windows something like:
>
> title Windows
>        root (hd0,0)
>        chainloader +1
>
> This is for Windows being on the first partition on the first BIOS
> drive. Change hd0,0 to hd0,1 if it is on the second partition.
>
>> This is what the F-9 grub.conf file is, presently it shows as /dev/sda
>> but with the cables swapped it becomes /dev/sdc.  I guess what I need is
>> to combine the two files and hope I don't get into a condition where I
>> can't boot any o/s!  Wish I was knew what i was doing ...
>>
>>    #boot=/dev/sda
>>    default=0
>>    timeout=15
>>    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>>    hiddenmenu
>>    title Fedora (2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686)
>>        root (hd0,0)
>>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686 ro
>>    root=/dev/VolGroup01/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
>>        initrd /initrd-2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686.img
>>    title Fedora (2.6.25-14.fc9.i686)
>>        root (hd0,0)
>>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 ro
>>    root=UUID=23b42fa8-24bb-4d8f-9be6-928cd2e0825b rhgb quiet
>>        initrd /initrd-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686.img
>>

> Ah - this answers a lot of questions. We have a problem here if the
> drive on the add-on card is not accessible by the BIOS. You can test
> it by adding an entry to your F8 grub.conf something like this. If
> it works, we get fancy later.
>
> title Fedora 9
>     map (hd0) (hd2)
>     map (hd2) (hd0)
>     chainloader (hd0)
>
> If grub complains about the map commands, we have a bit of work
> ahead of us. If it all works, you should get the Fedora 9 Grub
> screen. Note - then map commands only affect that menu selection, so
> it will not affect booting the other entries.
>
> Mikkel

Ok, I will do as you suggest, but you have me off on a tangent now.  The
information in the 'info grub' files is quite good [understandable].  I
would like to be able to print a copy in a large font.  I don't usually
use the info files because they are hard to navigate but perhaps there's
a way to print a copy at least of the sections I am most interested in?
Google provided instructions for navigating them but nothing so far on
printing a copy without going through the thing page by page.

Bob