Fedora home server using core 9

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 31 19:55:32 UTC 2008

On Sunday 31 August 2008 20:26:03 Frode Petersen wrote:
> g:
> > Frank Murphy wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >> I wouldn't to be honest,
> >> Not dissing fedora, but believe the longer cycle of CentOS
> >> http://www.centos.org/
> >> or similar that has a longer life-span.
> >
> > another good considerations that i have been enjoying is;
> >
> >   https://www.scientificlinux.org/
>
> Just curious, as I'm about to install one of them alongside F9: Is there
> any reason to choose one over the other? My impression is that they are
> pretty much equivalent choices, but that might be a superficial
> observation for all I know.

I believe they are in many respects.  I'd suggest, though, that you check out
things like third-party mailing lists (even on a server you may need some
things that are not in the distro) and user support, whether by mailing list,
forum, irc, or whatever.  They may be equivalent on these things too - I
don't know.  I'm happy with CentOS on my server, so I never investigated
Scientific Linux, although I know it has a good reputation.

Anne