Issues with F10

Wade Hampton wadehamptoniv at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 15:10:27 UTC 2008

Further issues with Fedora 10 on my gateway laptop
with radeon M200 video (started with nomodeset).

1)  Crash (or x lockup) when trying to run Picasa 3.0
     beta the first time.  I believe this was the first hard
     crash since using nomodeset (maybe one other?).
     When I rebooted, I tried starting Picasa again and
     it worked (other bugs w/ Picasa 3.0 beta, reported to
     Google).  The ATI X driver and/or kernel interface
     for this driver seem to have issues (others have
     reported various lockups...).

2)  I changed /etc/inittab to boot to run level 3.  After
     typing startx, X works fine, however I can't automount
     disks.  Inserted USB memory stick and it appeared
     in the list file manager.  I selected Mount and nothing
     happened and no error message, just silence.  I also
     tried mounting my FAT partition on the hard disk and
     a USB hard drive -- same results.

     After a reboot, I then logged in as root (command line)
     and typed telinit 5, X started, and I could automount
     my disks....  Was a daemon not running?  System should
     provide error messages or log something when
     it can't mount or do another feature like this.

3)  I changed /etc/inittab to boot to run level 5 then
     rebooted.  The computer still came up in runlevel 3.
     I have to login on console as root and type telinit 5.
     Is there another setting somewhere?

Thanks,
--
Wade Hampton