root in FC 10

Fred Silsbee fredsilsbee at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 16:15:11 UTC 2008

--- On Sat, 12/6/08, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> From: Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>
> Subject: Re: root in FC 10
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 3:59 PM
> Tom Horsley wrote:
> > On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 16:10:36 +1030
> > Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> >
> >> Compared to logging in graphically as root leaves
> you
> >> much more open to security flaws in the graphical
> systems doing much
> >> more than you were doing.
> >
> > Ah yes, here it is again - GUIS are horribly flawed
> and
> > ridden through with security bugs.
> >
> > If that is really the case, then no one should be
> logging into
> > any GUI at all for any reason since you'll be
> exposing your
> > own data to all those security kooties waiting to leap
> out
> > of the GUIs on them.
> >
> No - GUIs run as root are not as secure. A bug that would
> be caught
> when running as a user may not be caught when running as
> root. The
> more code you have running as root, the greater the chance
> of
> running into problems. Then again, it is a lot easier to
> shoot
> yourself in the foot running as root using the GUI. How may
> times
> have we seen someone on the list that changed permissions,
> or
> deleted the wrong file, and needs help to get the system
> running again.
>
> Mikkel
> --
>
>   Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!
>
> --

EEEWWW! save me from making a mistake..PLEASE!

Pontius Pilate in the movie "Ben Hur":

"we mature through fault, we progress through error"

If a newbie screws up his computer, he will learn a lot from having to start over!

What would be better: send you to his house to make sure he makes no mistakes!

One of the (truly) best guys in the Linux circuit of help has his SELINUX turned off!