Virtualizing XP with dual boot FC10/XP

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Dec 14 19:03:43 UTC 2008

Wayne Feick wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 13:20 -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
>> Agile Aspect wrote:
>> >>
>> > The valid product key for Windows on Dell laptops should be
>> > on bottom side of the computer.
>> >
>> There is a label for Windows Vista. Remember I said this is a Windows XP
>> downgrade. If you look at Latitude E-Series laptops on Dell.com (their
>> USA website), you will see what I am talking about -- I paid an extra
>> $99 for the downgrade. The CD I am using also shipped with the new
>> computer, so it's legal, or should be. I'll ask at the Dell forums...
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Your license key may or may not work in a VM. Last time I tried to
> install Dell's OEM version of XP inside VMWare (admittedly a few years
> ago), it refused to activate and gave a message that it was only
> licensed to run on Dell hardware.
>
> Wayne.

I'm just getting messages that the key is incorrect. I'll recheck it
again after a belated lunch, maybe my eyes are just old and unfocused?
Thanks for the heads up though. You might be right, I will follow up on
this.

On the good side, my Fedora 10 VM is running with bridged networking. I
hope it can see things like USB and serial ports.

Bob