Whoa! Need help resolving Yum issues

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Dec 17 20:57:42 UTC 2008

Todd Denniston wrote:
> N. James Bridge wrote, On 12/17/2008 01:55 PM:
>> On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 10:40 -0800, Dan Thurman wrote:
>>> I get this error from Yum...
>>>
>>> ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on
>>> :1.31:/org/freedesktop/PackageKit: dbus.exceptions.DBusException:
>>> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: A security policy in place
>>> prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see
>>> message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface
>>> "org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable" member "Introspect" error name
>>> "(unset)" destination ":1.31")
>>>
>>> I cannot seem to be able to get my yum updates working. It
>>> is showing all sorts of dependency errors and I removed:
>>>
>>> + kadu
>>> + gyachi
>>>
>>> and finally the only one left is:
>>>
>>> fuse-emulator
>>>
>>> for which I cannot remove.
>>>
>>> What can I do to kick-start my yum updates so that
>>> I can later add back in the above removed packages?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Dan
>>>

>> This was the subject of animated discussion recently: as I recall, an
>> update to dbus broke the automatic updates. I know the bug has been
>> fixed and I think that all that is necessary is to do "yum update dbus".
>>

> perhaps a bit more than that... like a reboot.
> please see Paul Frields email:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2008-December/msg00012.html
>

> granted the `yum update dbus` might be needed in Dan's case if other
> packages than dbus are preventing the yum update from finishing.

I had rebooted my system, and on rebooting, the dbus failed to start,
rhgb started
but logins were prevented in X.  So, I Alt-F1, logged in as root, then
yum removed
fuse-emulator* and was able to start yum updates.  The reason being,
that there were
library dependencies that refused to go away.  So, hopefully, if the
major updates (1.7GB)
are successful, I hope to add back in the removed packages.  We'll see
how that goes and
I'll post a follow up soon!

Sorry about the multiple postings - these were stopped queued email
messages that
were blocked and upon fixing the problem at my end, released the queued
emails.

Thanks for responding!
Dan