backup of my / filesystem

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 19:51:12 UTC 2008

Kevin Kempter-2 wrote:

> I'm looking for a clean way to backup my laptop in part so before I apply
> any
> updates I have a clean backup to revert to if needed.
>
> I have a / and /home filesystems in order to backup before I run a set of
> updates from yum I suspect I need to backup / separately this way I dont
> need
> to restore my 22Gig of documents in /home if an update breaks something.

I have used a script for some years which is based on rsync. I will attach
the file and you can adapt it to your needs if you like it. Note that this
sends the backup to a usb drive that is attached to the machine. it is
relatively straightforward to adapt it to work across a LAN or also across
the internet to push or pull updates to/from remote machines.
http://www.nabble.com/file/p21150306/backall%257E backall%7E