Fedora 8: tcsh .history file destroyed on exit?

James Frye fryeja at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 21 21:26:32 UTC 2008

> James Frye wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just installed Fedora 8 on a new machine (Lenovo T61p), and am
having
> > problems getting
> > tcsh to run correctly.  The main problem is that when I exit,
the .history
> > file is destroyed.  It's
> > not that the current session history is not saved.  I copied a .history
> > file from my older machine
> > loaded it, and the history mechanism works as expected for that
session.
> > On restart, though,
> > I find that the .history file has been truncated to 0 bytes.
> >

> This has been the default behavior for tcsh for many years.  I can't
> even remember what year that changed ...
>
> Check your .tcshrc -- your savehist may not be correct:  here is mine:
>
>         set history=999
>         set savehist=900 merge

I know, that's why I have savehist &c set, just as your example (except
different
numbers).  This isn't a new setup: it's just migrating what does work on my
current
systems, and has (with ongoing modifications) since long before my first
Linux system.

> It may not be a good idea to set root's shell to tcsh, since many
> processes executed as root may depend on bash syntax.

It's always worked before, and if it doesn't, that's a bug in whatever
shell script
isn't working.

> Having installed from source, the tcsh binary may have the wrong
> permissions:
>
>  -> ls -l /bin/tcsh
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 351528 2007-08-31 03:39 /bin/tcsh*
>
> Or may have been built with less than optimal 'configure' arguments.

Permissions are ok.  It does work, and will load/save history if I do it
manually,
just not automatically on exit.  Root also works fine if I do a
"source .tcshrc"
after logging in.

James