A great article on why to use SeLinux (was: a great article on SeLinux)

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Feb 26 15:59:21 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 26 February 2008, Jim wrote:
> http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/022408-selinux.html

Folks who doubt SELinux's ultimate value need to read this article.  It is an
excellent case for why to do this.

And given that the first compromised software (HP's software) is more of a
workstation software, SELinux can/could prevent your Linux desktop from
becoming a zombie/bot just like the poor Windows boxes become.

SELinux: not just for servers anymore.

Inconveniences aside, if workstation/desktop software (like firefox,
evolution, kmail, etc) can be exploited and turn a Linux desktop/laptop into
a botnet zombie without SELinux, then it seems to me that we collectively
need to work on making SELinux work properly so that Linux doesn't get the
same black eye that Windows has for botnet purposes.  Hrmph, a Linux box,
with all the typical dev tools installed, would make a ten times better
botnet zombie than Windows anyway!
--
Lamar Owen
www.pari.edu