OT - Outlook Web access for Thunderbird. Just sharing

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 18:28:35 UTC 2008

Robin Laing wrote:
> Hello,  I just thought I would share this.
>
> Over a year ago, our corporation made the move to Exchange server
> without imap or pop access. :(  This upset many, including the Windows
> users.
>
> I tried to work with Evolution from the day I was forced to change but
> never got comfortable.  I hated the interface (to much like Outlook)
> and it was so slow to get mail.  As a compromise, I would get my mail
> with Evolution and export it to TB to read.
>
> Over the year I looked at other options.  I came across this nice
> little JAVA application that will get the mail through webDAV and save
> it as an mbox file.  Now I don't have to even touch Evolution to get
> my email.
>
> http://personal.inet.fi/atk/fetchexc/
> fetchExc - fetches mail with webDAV from MS Exchange 2000/2003 servers
>
> I hope that something like this can be incorporated into TB.
>
> Hope it helps someone else.

"webDAV" you say?
That's interesting because old Hotmail accounts are able to communicate
using something that's called "WebDav". If it's the same one, then
WebMail/Hotmail TB extension might already work with Outlook Web Access.
If it doesn't already work, I'm sure the developer/maintainer of that
extension can add this feature :)

P.S. after a quick lookup, it looks like (s)he is already working on it.
See http://groups.google.com/group/thunderbird-webmail-extension