Will not boot after Disk upgrade from hda to sda

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 18:12:23 UTC 2008

Gene Heskett wrote:

> Said another way, if the mobo's bios can't see this new drive, then it
> obviously cannot boot from it.  This is not a linux problem, but a bios
> problem.
>
> My current workaround was to move all the stuff from /boot1, the first
> partition on this sata drive that the F8 install to this drive made,
> to /boot, the first partition on ide0,0 drive, at which point F8 will boot,
> using the /VolGroup01 etc on the sata drive as its / drive, and with /boot1
> as its /boot once its booted.  Weird, as it disconnects the /boot it booted
> from, but it works.

That's a fairly normal configuration. If you have multiple disks, the
grub install and /boot have to be on bios-enabled drives, but / or the
LVM containing it does not since the kernel drivers are active by the
time you access it.  You probably have duplicate labels on the /boot
partitions, a common problem if you move drives around.  Either change
the labels or fix /etc/fstab to refer to the partition name so the
active /boot partition is mounted for updates, etc.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com