Sata DVD drives work?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 04:00:50 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> I've pretty much decided that the problems I was seeing with
> my DVD drive are indeed hardware problems, so I was thinking
> of upgrading to the latest and greatest multi-format wizz-bang
> drive I can find, and I see all the newer dvd writers seem to
> be exclusively sata interfaces these days.
>
> Do sata dvd writers work OK in fedora?
>
> Specifically I'm looking at the Samsung SH-S203N - anyone used
> one in fedora?
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> (I know, it doesn't do blu-ray and HD-DVD - I don't really
> want to go that wizz-bang just yet, but the double layer
> stuff might be useful sometimes :-).

Got one of those last week! Used it several times and it has worked
flawlessly. I've got mine connected to an Asus A8N-E w/ nForce4 chipset.
I've pretty much only used K3B for burning but have also used it with
VirtualBox and an XP vm for ripping to HD for my MythTV box as the
internal DVD player and even Xine sometimes seem to choke on some of the
copy protection used today.

Richard