Openvpn Fedora tutorial?

Andrew Parker andrewparker at bigfoot.com
Thu Jan 3 00:27:20 UTC 2008

On Jan 2, 2008 5:29 PM, Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> David Vernon wrote:
> >> Is there a good tutorial for openvpn under Fedora?
> >> I've followed the instructions at
> >> <http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=595436>
> >> but they seem to have made things worse rather than better..
> >
> > snip...
> >

> >> Is there an openvpn doctor in the house?
> >> All advice and suggestions gratefully received.
> >
> > It would be easier to help if you posted included the contents of your
> > config files (minus comments). Also the output of "iptables -L" would
> > be good. Might want to "clean" the ip addrs just to protect the innocent
> > (though that cat is out of the bag at this point it seems).
>
> Thanks very much for your response.
> I found when following your suggestion
> that there was a typo in /etc/openvpn/server.conf
> (I had the wrong location for one of the keys).
> When I corrected this, and restarted openvpn on both machines,
> everything appeared (from /var/log/messages) to be fine.
> I have tun0 on my desktop at 192.168.5.1
> and tun0 on my laptop at 192.168.5.6 .
>
> I guess my question now is rather different -
> I'm not sure what I can do with the connection.
> I don't seem able to ssh in either direction.
> And ping fails in both directions too.

for a connectivity test, each node should be able to ping the other.
i.e. desktop can ping 192.168.5.6 and laptop can ping 192.168.5.1.

if that works, you can utilise whatever network services are available
on each node, but you will have to refer to them by their VPN IP
addresses (192.168.5.n)

If you have additional network's behind either your desktop or laptop
(such as the internet) that you can also direct traffic to that
network via the vpn.  depending on what you want to do, and your
network topology you should look up the "route" and "redirect-gateway"